To Protect and Serve...Drive to Survive!

To Protect and Serve...Drive to Survive!
Train as if your life depended on it! It does!

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

PSTI Project Update for September

The Project Team has been quite busy.  The Memorandum Of Understanding (MOU) between the City and County of San Diego and the San Diego Community College District has been submitted to our respective legal advisors for review.  We expect some adjustments during this review and once approved and implemented, the MOU will guide future construction, operations and maintenance of the PSTI facility.

This month we were advised that the College District agreed to fund the project up to a $16M cap (up from the original $12.6M). This bump was necessary to cover projected construction costs estimates and fulfill the need to hire both a civil engineer for the overall project as well as a structural engineer to guide us on the partial demolition of Building 557.  The increased budget will provide us with a buffer should we experience unforeseen issues in the future.

As mentioned in an earlier posting, we submitted our Preliminary Review application to the City's Development Services Department. The DSD staff have been an excellent resource and sounding board for the project team.  Their review of our application was thorough, timely and in early September, we received written responses from the various disciplines within the City.  To view this multi-page report, click on this link:

Our Campus Project Manager (Scott Ellis) and I have been reviewing these reports which will guide us through the next phase of planning and development.  Yes, there is much work to be done and yes, the team is up to the challenge.

Meetings have been scheduled with U.S. Navy facilities and Applied Energy staff to work out logistics to modify and conceal the above-ground steam line running along the channel on our site (a mandate by the NTC Precise Plan).  This will eventually require a coordinated effort with the City's Public Utilities Department and the McMillin Companies (Liberty Station developer) to complete this task along our respective esplanades.

Planning is now in progress to hold a PSTI Board of Directors meeting in early November.  By then, we hope to present a finished MOU to our Directors for official approval and signature.  Once the date, time and location is confirmed, look for a future announcement of this public meeting.  This will be a major milestone for us and a positive step into the next phase of this project.


Wednesday, September 8, 2010